IT SUPPORT FROM $39/MONTH
server : desktop : network : security
CONTACT US HERE
8 Best Server Antivirus Software in 2020
A decent technological environment is an essential characteristic of nowadays' businesses. Since most professions are performed online or via electronic devices, you need to make sure that everything works flawlessly.However, having the best computers or laptops is not enough; your business performance requires a healthy security system and more powerful machines in order to prevent any potential damage which could have a negative influence on the business. In this article, you are going to see the importance of the business server and the antivirus which plays a significant role in its protection – let’s start.
What Is a Business Server?
A server is any computer or device which performs services to other networks, your customers or your employees.When it comes to SMBs, having a business server is vital, since it can influence business performance and its development. The business server is particularly useful if you run a business with multiple employees – it's not recommended that they keep the files installed directly on their computers, but to save all the data on the central server. Why?
First, a server is way stronger than any computer – all business servers come with ECC (Error Correction Code) memory which detects any potential failure in the disc and corrects it immediately. In that way, your computer won’t suddenly freeze or turn off.Besides, that's useful for those business owners who run a web site. If there is a massive traffic flow on your website, which means that many people are using it at the same time, there is a little chance that the computer can handle it without any interruption. Second, it's more secure – all your data will be safely stored on the server, and there's less chance that someone could take advantage of it. However, the business server also needs to be protected, and there is antivirus software specially designed for it.
How to Choose the Best Server Antivirus Software?
If your data is stored on a physical server it needs to be protected with adequate server antivirus. You can install the antivirus software free trial and see how it works, or you can purchase it immediately – however, you should find one with some of the 5 features listed below:
- Direct malware detection – sever antivirus should provide you with quick malware detection and prevention from the threats including trojans, worms, and other viruses.
- Sandboxing – this feature authenticates all the processes running on the server and prevents any malicious entities from penetrating the system and harming your computer. Unrecognized apps or procedures will be automatically sandboxed and run under special restrictions.
- HIPS (Host Intrusion Protection) – this option monitors all the activities of the apps and processes on the server, and it stops any malicious activity that could damage the data, OS, system-memory or registry keys.
- Virtual Desktop – this is a sandboxing environment which allows Internet access and beta-software testing without upsetting the file structure.
- Rescue Disc – rescue disc performs pre-boot antivirus scans, and it can recover passwords, detect and remove the rootkit or allow you to transform the data from the damaged disc to another drive.
RELATED ARTICLES:• The Best Antivirus for Business in 2020 • How To: Small Business Network Setup • 5 Reasons Why Small Businesses Need IT Support • Small Business Router, 5 Best Models for Your Business • DoS and DDoS Attacks • 10 Most Common Types of Cyber Attacks • Network Security 101 – Protect Your Cyber Space • Man In The Middle Attack Terrible Truth • Phishing In Details and How to Protect Your Self • XSS Attack – Dead Simple Explanation
8 Best Server Antivirus in 2020
Choosing the best server antivirus can be a complicated process for those who are not that familiar with server protection. There are a lot of different antivirus software products on the market, and all of them provide you with more or less same features – however, you'll see the list of 5 most potent protection software and their characteristics.
1. Bitdefender GravityZone Endpoint Security
Bitdefender is a leader in providing top-notch security products both for business and home devices.Besides, it offers a series of server antivirus programs, and Bitdefender GravityZone Endpoint Security is one of the most representative software which provides your server with the highest security level.
- Fast detection without slowdown – Bitdefender GravityZone provides quick and efficient malware detection and removal without slowing down your device.
- Command-Line Analyzer – this feature helps in preventing Macro and Script-Based attacks which are perceived as trusted MS Office Macro – they mostly use PowerShell to run scripts and download malicious code which leads to the attack execution. In that case, Bitdefender alerts the admin and blocks the running scripts.
- Sandbox Analyzer – if Bitdefender detects any suspicious files, it automatically sends them to the cloud sandbox for further analysis so that they can’t perform any malicious activity.
- Exceptional firewall performance - You can easily specify whether the firewall is enabled, the kind of traffic that’s allowed, and what types of devices can be plugged into the system.
- Poor alert options – many customers would like to get notifications via e-mails or text messages when Bitdefender detects and quarantines malware.
- Slow scan - Most users said that they would appreciate a bit quicker scans.
Bottom line: Bitdefender GravityZone Endpoint Security is primarily made for enterprises allowing them to perform their businesses without worrying about the security of their servers. This software is equipped with the most sophisticated features and its only drawback would be lack of notifications addressed to the user.
2. Comodo Server Antivirus (39.99/1 device/year)
If you are looking for the best Windows server 2012 antivirus, check out Comodo – the affordable ($19.99 a year for one device) and exceptional solution for your office server protection.Comodo comes with a user-friendly platform, and it's made explicitly for servers, so, all its "attention" is directed to the security of your primary endpoint.
- OTA enrollment – OTA (Over-The-Air) enrollment allows you to connect and protect mobile devices wirelessly.
- Host Intrusion Protection System – Comodo has developed HIPS, which identifies and prevents the potential damage caused by malicious files. In case it detects something strange, it stops it before it performs any undesirable activity.
- Multiple Windows Server OS Support – Comodo supports Windows Server OS from 2003 to 2012, including Small Business edition. So, it's available for a wide range of business owners since they mostly use Windows Server OS
- Valkyrie - Being Comodo’s official cloud-based platform, Valkyrie helps you find and analyze unknown files. It includes dynamic, static, and human analysis, providing a 100% verdict immediately.
- Expert knowledge required – some users find it difficult to install and understand some features like Comodo KillSwitch and powerful Task Manager.
- It takes a lot of time to load - Comodo is quite a robust software, which is why it needs some time to load.
Bottom line: Comodo Server Antivirus is a small business-friendly protection software which gives optimal security to your physical server. It reacts fast and identifies the malware before it provokes any damage in the system. The only disadvantage would be a difficulty to use some features, but that's not a big deal since the essential options are preinstalled.
3. Avira Antivirus Server ($218/1 device/year)
Avira is one of the most used antivirus software, not only for home PCs but also for the office devices.It’s suitable for every small business, and it provides the server with decent safety, but its price is a bit high. Have a look at the characteristics of Avira Antivirus Server
- Real-time protection – Avira offers real-time protection which means that there's no chance that malware can sneak into your system unawares. Besides, the software is always up-to-date which is crucial for preventing new viruses from getting into the system.
- Network protection – this antivirus will prevent the most common cyber-attacks, hackers and webcam spies from potential information stealing. In that way, your company’s data will remain completely safe.
- On-demand protection – in order to provide an additional layer of safety, Avira allows you to schedule manual scanning whenever you want to.
- Anti-Botnet - Botnet is considered one of the cruelest cyberattacks we know, but Avira can help prevent them from being executed. It will block the communication between your device and the command center, keeping your endpoints safe from malicious intents.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 not supported – Avira requires at least Windows 2008 with the newest updates, and Windows 2019 is not yet supported. So, it’s not suitable for those who use either old or the contemporary versions of the OS.
- Needs update of protection capabilities - Avira sometimes fails to recognize malware that could jeopardize your endpoint and permits it to enter the system.
Bottom line: Avira represents an authoritative source of protection for servers and its suitable for small businesses. However, it can cause some compatibility issues due to its limited system requirements, and the price might not be convenient for everyone.
4. Kaspersky Endpoint Security Cloud Plus ($685.00/10 devices/year)
Kaspersky must be mentioned when it comes to antivirus software – and again, it has to offer an exceptional cloud-based service which will protect your business server from all potential ransomware and zero-day attacks.Check out the features of Kaspersky Endpoint Security Cloud Plus:
- Patch management – patch management is one of the most important parts of any antivirus – that means that Kaspersky will automatically download and install necessary patches and update the software which prevents the hackers from exploiting malware.
- Ransomware and Exploit prevention – Kaspersky identifies and halts any malware and ransomware which could damage your system or steal your data.
- Mobile protection – this Windows server antivirus offers mobile security as well, and by purchasing the package, you get two mobile licenses per user for free.
- Advanced vulnerability scans - Kaspersky comes with a unique tool that can detect and eliminate the vulnerabilities that exist in your system, making sure you get the right recommendations on how to fix them.
- Not for less than 10 servers – if you run a small business with, for example, 8 employees, you won't be able to purchase it. You can opt for at least 10 servers coverage, and the price would be $685 per year.
- Weak reporting - Users would like to see improved reporting capabilities that are a must for software that costs as much as Kaspersky.
Bottom line: As always, Kaspersky shows itself in the best light. It comes with essential cloud-based features which allow you to control your data no matter where you are, at any time. The only drawback would be small business "unfriendliness," but the enterprises would be quite satisfied with the software.
5. Windows Defender AV (Built-In)
If you are looking for free server antivirus, then the Windows Defender AV is the best option for you.It doesn’t require any installation since it’s a built-in software, and if you can disable it in case, you want to stop using its services.
- Stronger protection with Microsoft Azure – you can integrate Windows Defender to Microsoft Azure – while Azure controls the traffic on your domain, Windows Defender will monitor your endpoint bringing you and your business more robust security.
- Easy to disable – if you want to stop Windows Defender from running, you can easily disable it by making one click.
- Multiple devices protection – with Windows Defender, you can protect various a more extensive range of devices, servers, and endpoints. Besides, it will keep your business data safe from advanced threats.
- No hidden fees - Windows Defender comes preinstalled, and it doesn’t require you to upgrade to paid plans or something similar. It’s entirely free, which makes it suitable for small businesses that have just started their operations.
- Impossible to deinstall – even though you can stop it whenever you want, some users don’t support the lack of the deinstall function. However, if you install some other antivirus, the Windows Defender will pause immediately, but the software will still be there.
- Needs more customization options - Although it comes with preinstalled features that are quite satisfactory, users would like to see more customization options that would allow them to adapt the software to their business requirements.
Bottom line: Windows Defender is excellent antivirus for Server 2016, and it provides the user with decent protection. It's built-in, it's free, and it doesn't require any additional installation which is useful for an average business owner. Yet, the limitation lies in the impossibility to remove the software, but the good thing is that you can pause it in case you don’t need it.
6. ESET Endpoint Protection Standard
ESET Endpoint Protection Standard is a server antivirus software that's created specifically for small and medium-sized businesses (SMB). It comes with decent features that include ransomware protection, email scanning, remote management, and more.
- Outstanding remote management features: This ESET’s product comes with Remote Administrator function, which allows you to manage your endpoint, server, and mobile security right from the web browser. It helps you detect all unprotected machines in the network, providing a more secure environment.
- Enhanced intrusion detection options: By providing ultimate network traffic monitoring, ESET will detect any suspicious activity and notify you about it.
- Ultimate ransomware protection: Once enabled, ESET’s LiveGrid will instantly inspect and detect any potential attempt of data theft. LiveGrid uses a worldwide database of suspicious app samples, making sure no threat goes unnoticed.
- Up-to-date reports: To make sure you’re notified about your system’s security, ESET brings the Reporting module, which delivers essential information about the types of threats, modules used, and the actions taken to prevent potential risks that could jeopardize your server security.
- Needs better phishing protection: Some tests have shown that ESET lacks more advanced phishing detection features. That said, it might fail to protect you from fake log-in websites that may abuse your personal data.
- Affects system performance: Many users complained that ESET Endpoint Protection used to slow down their systems, which had a negative impact on their workflow.
Bottom line: ESET Endpoint Protection Standard represents a convenient solution for small and medium-sized businesses. Its features deliver enterprise-level server protection, but it still lacks more enhanced phishing protection capabilities. It offers a 30-day free trial you can download and see whether the product meets your business requirements.
7. AVG File Server Business Edition ($20.39/1 device/year)
A server antivirus solution that will keep your critical business data safe from the latest threats, including malware, ransomware, viruses, and phishing, definitely is AVG File Server Business Edition. It provides great value for money, and you can always try it before making a final purchase.
- Professional email security: Hackers often use email to spread their malicious activities, which is why AVG has developed excellent email protection. It comes with an Anti-Spam feature that scans and checks all your emails for potentially malicious content and code, making sure no threat penetrates your system.
- File server security: AVG secures your essential business files that are kept online, ensuring their safety, and round the clock protection. It will prevent any unauthorized attempt to modify or delete your files executed by malware.
- Excellent network protection: AVG File Server Protection will check every website as you're surfing, paying particular attention to malicious content that might be found on the site. It comes with Wi-Fi Guard that will prevent your device from connecting to false wireless access points set by hackers.
- Financial information security: AVG has proven its efficiency in keeping a user’s financial information safe from online threats aimed at stealing it.
- Lacks Mac support: Despite its seamless performance on Windows, AVG lacks endpoint protection for Mac. Some users do their work on Apple’s machines, which is why they may consider AVG’s competitors to get the right solution.
- Complex user interface: Most AVG users said that they found the UI a bit complex to use.
Bottom line: AVG Server Business Edition is quite a decent server antivirus software that comes with advanced protection features. Thanks to its real-time performance, you can feel safe knowing that nothing suspicious can jeopardize your privacy. It provides better value for money than ESET, which is another strength of this product. It's bad a product doesn't offer Mac solutions, but Apple users can always seek other options.
8. VIRUSfighter Server ($107.90/unlimited users/year)
VIRUSfighter Server is a low-cost, lightweight, powerful, and user-friendly server antivirus specifically designed for Windows Server. It provides a remarkable level of protection to your endpoint, making sure no spam or virus walks free through your system.
- Excellent threat protection: VIRUSfighter Server provides a high-level of defense against spyware, Trojans, rootkits, and other sophisticated kids of malware targeted at Windows servers.
- An unlimited number of users: Unlike most of its competitors, which determine your final price based on a number of users, VIRUSfighter will generously provide access to an unlimited number of users.
- Free email and phone support: Customer support you get via VIRUSfighter is free, which is why you can count on them whenever you have a problem with your software.
- Available for all Windows Server operating systems: One of the most significant advantages of this product is the fact that it works on every Windows Server OS.
- The user interface seems outdated: Although it's not a considerable drawback, this VIRUSfighter comes with a bit outdated UI. Therefore, not all companies will find it convenient for their office.
- Windows-only: VIRUSfighter is designed only for Windows Servers, which means that both Linux and Mac users need to look somewhere else.